Lockdown on Central State University lifted; Person of interest taken into custody – WHIO TV 7 and WHIO Radio

WILBERFORCE — Central State University’s lockdown is now lifted following a police investigation Saturday morning.

Central State University received a 911 call from dispatch with reports of what was believed to be an active shooter, according to a university statement.

The university’s police department responded immediately and activated the campus-wide emergency alert system, the university said. Several nearby law enforcement agencies responded to help.

According to the university, the campus is clear at this time and has been deemed safe.

After further investigation, it was determined that there was no active shooter threat.

“When we hear things like this, we act immediately to make sure our campus community is safe. The University has contingency plans – those involved in these plans acted immediately and followed all of our safety protocols. said CSU President Jack Thomas.

According to Central State University Police Chief Stephanie Hill, a person of interest has been arrested, the university said in the statement.

News Center 7’s Gabrielle Enright was at the scene talking with several parents heading to Central State University for their children’s freshman orientation, but when they arrived, several police cruisers were there. on the campus.

>> Photos: Central State University lockdown lifted; Person of interest taken into custody

“So the first thing I told James to do is look at his CSU email because they’re going to tell the students what’s going on so they can be aware, and he had said that there had been reports of an active shooter,” said parent Lakesha Baker.

After the lockdown was lifted, a student told News Center 7 that such things don’t usually happen at CSU.

“I’ve been here 3 years and I’ve never heard or seen anything like this,” Junior Henry Gray said.

He wasn’t on campus when it happened, but Gray said he appreciated the response from law enforcement.

“It’s really good that we had a lot of officers and a lot of people around to make sure everyone was okay,” he said.

Jail records show the Central State University Police Department arrested 24-year-old Kual Bak around 11:40 a.m. on campus on a preliminary false alarm charge.

We are working to confirm if the arrest is related to this incident.

The incident is still under investigation at this time.

We’ll continue to update this story as we learn more.

Comments are closed.